Congleton Golf Club, Cheshire is a 9 hole, par 68 (5113 yard), private, parkland golf course.
Congleton Golf Club was founded in 1898 when a group of some 20 gentlemen enthusiasts met at the Lion & Swan and decided that ‘Congleton should have a course and that its locality should be not west of the Lion & Swan and near to the railway’.
The first course was believed to be sited near to Congleton Railway Station . This site was considered ‘unsuitable’ in 1904 and the Club found a new site at Mossley Hall Estate and remain there to this day. The original design and layout was the work of Frank Wingate.
Various changes to the course took place over the years and in particular there was a major change to the layout in 1931. A new Clubhouse was built in 1967, with a further extension in the later 1990’s.